Happy Birthday America

July 5, 2008

July 4th. The American Independence day. A day for barbeques, picnics, family get-togethers, and fireworks!

The Macy’s ‘spectacular‘ has been a Newyork tradition for the past 32 years. This year we decided to watch it from Roosevelt Island, which supposedly offers the best views of the show.

The show was nice. I probably didn’t enjoy it as much as i did the first time two years back, but then the first time is always more enjoyable.

Here’s a video.

(There’s more videos of the show on my youtube page, for those who are interested)

Side Notes about the show:

• Rain made it a little less enjoyable. I put my beloved camera through great peril to get the videos and pictures.
  • About the much touted view from the island, lets just say i am not going there next  year. They had put up this big stage bang in the middle of where you would see the show, and the best area of the park was reserved for ‘VIP’s. They get to watch the entire show from prime spots and the paying thousands of people sit and fret.

How then, did i get such great footage? Its called Jugaad. Not everybody was so smart.

• Getting out of there was a pain. Huge lines to get into the train station. It took us about an hour to get inside. I had expected delays, but not of such magnitude.

(Wonder how many of these people were wondering if it was worth standing in this long line, in rain, for not so unobstructed views of the fireworks that they could have watched for free elsewhere!)

All in all, a great show, but Roosevelt Island failed to live up to expectations.

Related:

Roosevelt Island Pictures
My Youtube Page

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “ Happy Birthday America ”

1. […] Continue reading […]

2. Dinesh on July 6, 2008 at 10:18 am

Cool show. We were able to have a closer look in our place.

3. amlistening on July 6, 2008 at 3:21 pm

The part I liked was that the fireworks were synched with the music.

Regarding the queue and mismanagement, 232 years! and US government/authorities can still not do a good job at managing the organization.
    Also wondering….we never say Happy birthday India on 15th Aug and these guys actually sing the birthday song

4. prerna on July 7, 2008 at 10:58 pm

@ 3 amlistening , India wasn’t born on 15th August. We gained independence on this date. We do celebrate 15 Aug here in India.The prime minister unfurls the tricolour at the red fort and policy decisions are announced. A decade or two ago it meant lot more to the ordinary Indians, now of course people are getting less emotional about it.
    @ amreekandesi, //I put my beloved camera through great peril to get the videos and pictures// the results were good, nice pictures. You can’t take ‘jugaad’ out of an Indian :)

5. amlistening on July 7, 2008 at 11:46 pm

@4 :)
    Hi Prerna, I agree. But the sparks are still there. Watch this video: http://amlistening.wordpress.com/sweet-discoveries/

I loved it. God Bless India

6. amreekandesi on July 8, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Dinesh, welcome to my blog.

Prerna, AmListening – thanks for the comments.

7. testking 642-812 on June 17, 2009 at 2:08 am

The show was awesome. I probably didn’t enjoy it as much as i did the first time two years back, that was really cool and i still remember that moments.