T For Twitter

April 3, 2009

Unless you have been living under a rock these past few months you would have heard of Twitter.

Alright alright, don’t come down so hard on yourself…main hoon na!

So Twitter is this new micro blogging platform that has taken the technology world blogging world entire world by storm. Suddenly there’s celebrities going around touting their twitter accounts. TV personalities are being measured in terms of the number of followers they have. News is being disseminated via short 140 character messages (including blank spaces).

Essentially everybody and their grandma’s cat has a twitter account these days.

You can tweet from twitter.com. You can tweet from the million odd applications created for this very purpose. You can tweet from your iphone. And then, you can tweet via plain old SMS.

You can get news. You can find out when your friends woke up. You can find out when your friends went to sleep. You can follow famous people and find out what they are upto. You can talk to famous people and feel famous yourself.

You can tell the whole world just what the heck you are upto.

Biz Stone, one of the co founders of Twitter, was on the Colbert Report show last night. Here’s a video. Watch and enjoy.

Twitter is the messaging service we didn’t know we needed until we had it.

Twitter is great. Twitter is awesome.

Of course, we are on Twitter.

Follow us for some inciteful  news and updates on what’s right and what’s left in this world.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “ T For Twitter ”

1. […] Original post by amreekandesi.com […]

2. amlistening on April 3, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Me too. Twitter id: kiran_listening
    Pretty witty post, one of your funniest ones. BTW if you have not noticed comment is exactly 140 chars:)

3. Kavi on April 3, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Twitter is becoming increasingly mainstream ! I wonder how it would be when all of the world is on twitter !

Phew !

4. gauri on April 4, 2009 at 1:37 am

Let me leave my comment on Twitter. That’s the only way one would do justice to this post. Now my comment has exactly 140 characters too! :D

@gau3 ;)

5. Solilo on April 4, 2009 at 3:32 am

When it comes to social networking sites, I am a Flintstone who lives in BedROCK. Twitter, Facebook, Orkut…I stay away from all.

6. Reema on April 4, 2009 at 5:22 am

Yeyyyy for twitter!!

7. Shivya on April 4, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Twitter is probably the best thing that happened after google :D

8. amit on April 5, 2009 at 11:03 am

I don’t understand the concept. You can link to news articles and follow people. That’s it? No space for writing something?? :|

9. amreekandesi on April 5, 2009 at 11:28 am

@Amlistening – Aww…you think this is my funniest/wittiest post yet! Thanks much.

@Kavi – When all the world is on Twitter, it would probably become unusable. Even now i cant really follow all updates that i get – there’s too much information up there!

@Gauri – Where’s your twitter comment? I didn’t get any!

@Solilo – You should try out some social networking site. I have reconnected with so many lost friends through orkut. It took me some time to figure out Twitter, and now i love it. Its proving to be quite useful.

@Reema – Yey Indeed!

@Shivya – Wow…you sure love Twitter! I have seen some comparisons being drawn, but not yet convinced it is in the same league.

@Amit – There is definitely scope for writing. It’s more like writing headlines though, instead of posts. You can share news, information, and thoughts. Just that you have lesser space to do that as compared to a regular blog.

10. vimmuuu on April 6, 2009 at 2:01 am

Havnt tried my hands on twitter yet !!! Is it that addictive???

11. ruSh.Me on April 6, 2009 at 2:21 am

I know, twitter rocks… Cooler than FB, Classier than Orkut..!! Just next to Google, for me..!!

140 characters don’t seem enough, but they actually tell a lot!!!
    :D

12. My3 on April 6, 2009 at 8:53 am

Illa AmreekanDesi. I don’t have twitter and still don’t understand the concept. On the other hand I still use a cell-phone without a camera and don’t text anybody and hate to see English being butchered. My poor teenager is just disgusted with his mother when she says no to an Iphone! Why twitter is my question? Why not send a text message? Is twitter so that everybody who is on your phone list can see you? I am yet to figure out the details. I was hoping the founder would tell us, but he did not say why it was useful for me to be on twitter? I can use the cellphone and even text messages I can see the need for. But twitter… Is this like the facebook application which tells the whole world what you are doing at that moment? Thanks for giving me a place to ask rather dumb questions.

13. naperville mom on April 6, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Essentially everybody and their grandma’s cat has a twitter account these days.

Funny:) I don’t… but then, I don’t have a cell phone too… it’s cool no doubt but really wonder whether we need to be hyper- bugged… and also, whether it really saves time:) But that’s just me.

14. Dinesh on April 6, 2009 at 2:47 pm

T is for Twitter, F is for Facebook, G is for Google and A is for Apple, I mean really A is for Apple Inc, not the fruit :)

15. amreekandesi on April 7, 2009 at 1:25 pm

@Vimal – I Find Twitter useful, but wont call it addictive!

@rush.Me – I agree in that 140 characters can actually carry a good amount of information. Twitter teaches us how to be precise in communication!

@My3 – I too don’t text often, and i too hate grammatical errors, but i use my camera phone a lot. It has resulted in many blog posts for me!
    Twitter has nothing to do with the phone list. You have a set of people who ‘follow’ you, which means that messages you send out are visible to them. Conversely there is a set of people you follow. Now the idea is that if you find something interesting to share – a news headline, a nice article, some wacky thought, then you can post it. During 11/26 people were sending updates to twitter which ended up being a more updated source of news as compared to the mainstream media.

In short, the idea is of sharing information. You can share anything you like. Some people announce when they wake up or go to sleep. I use twitter to post news updates.

Facebook is this and more. It is a complete platform for people to interact with their friends. Its probably more personal. Twitter does just one small thing, and does it well.

I hope this helps. Try this video tutorial. And this. Also this one.

@Naperville mom – you dont have a cell phone! About being hyper bugged….i agree with you. People these days post anything on the internet. Its like nothing is personal anymore! Too much technology is not necessarily a good thing.

@Dinesh – Yes..this is the alphabet of the age of social networking.

16. Smitha on April 7, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Twitter certainly seems very interesting! It seems to be having a very loyal following! Have to try it out now!

17. Mahendra on April 7, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Suggestion – why don’t you use the Twitter plugin for WordPress on your blog, so your blog visitors can easily follow your tweets?

Just started using Twitter, and you’re one of my earliest Tweeple!

18. amreekandesi on April 8, 2009 at 12:47 am

@Smitha – It is certainly an interesting concept. I am still a twitter newbie trying to figure out how best to use it. Am also very curious to see how it evolves as the usage increases.

@Mahendra – Integrating my twitter feed with the blog is one of my high priority todos. I actually installed the twitter plugin, but trying to figure out a way to have some more control. Might write my own little script if that turns out to be the best solution. I hope to have twitter updates on this blog within a week.

Thanks for adding me as a contact on Twitter!

19. Chirag on April 8, 2009 at 8:30 am

@ad we are also on Twitter. and following you ;)

20. amreekandesi on April 8, 2009 at 9:04 am

@Chirag – Clever! I see what you did there ;) We are also following you on twitter!

21. Roshni on April 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm

And the question which still remains unanswered is: why would I want to know which star went to the bathroom, when and for how long!

22. amreekandesi on April 14, 2009 at 1:32 am

@Roshni – Trust me, there are many people out there who would trade a tooth for such information.
    Those people are the reason why Ellen Degeneres has over 300,000 followers while i have just about 250.

23. Roshni on April 17, 2009 at 1:29 am

Huh! I say what I have always said since my teenage days.. just becoz these other 300,000 people are all jumping into a well doesn’t mean I have to too!
    Seriously though, don’t people have real relationships that they can pursue?!

24. amreekandesi on April 17, 2009 at 8:26 pm

@Roshni – Of course you don’t have to. Twitter is just a medium. It is up to people to figure out what to do with it. You don’t have to follow celebs if you don’t want to.

25. amlistening on April 17, 2009 at 8:29 pm

@Roshni the best use of twitter I find is short and hot news..and by hot i dont mean celebrity hot ;)

26. Vats Thakur on October 24, 2009 at 1:41 am

Yes,Twitter is getting very famous in india,everybody is talking about it.

27. FTLwpress on January 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I thought twitter is only meant for celebrities and in-active celebrities, heh! now everybody seems to be using twitter even if they don’t have anything to say, they say/post something in there just for the sake of ‘tweeting’. wow, who cares! :D

28. Twitter Roundup – Vol 1 | AmreekanDesi on June 9, 2010 at 8:04 pm

[…] those of you who don’t have any idea what Twitter is, read this, and then head over to your favorite temple to beg […]