Desi Confused by America

May 13, 2009

Came across this fascinating video.

This is the story of Tripthi, an Indian girl who gets married to this NRI.

When she comes to New York, her Americanized husband starts feeling uncomfortable about her FOB-iness. Then when she tries adapting to a western lifestyle, he expects a traditional Indian wife. Eventually, after being shown a middle finger, he realizes his idiocy, and all is well.

That’s the way it is with us Indian dudes. We want to live here, but marry back home.

There are many cultural differences between India and America, and it can take time for newbies to adjust to the new lifestyle. Then there are people who can lose themselves in their new lives and look down upon others who aren’t as Americanized sophisticated.

All it takes is a look back at the days when you were in those shoes, and an open heart that accepts people for who they are, regardless of whether they know how to operate a dishwasher or not.

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “ Desi Confused by America ”

1. Dinesh on May 13, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Open mind is the key, after all we didn’t fall to earth knowing how to open the dishwasher!

2. amreekandesi on May 13, 2009 at 1:48 pm

@Dinesh – That’s very true. Except for those of us who landed on top of the dishwasher, forcing it open ;)

3. chutney on May 13, 2009 at 2:32 pm

the video was fantastic, so funny yet so true!

4. Roshni on May 13, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Pretentious people are just the worst! I mean both sides…people who flaunt their ‘dehati’-ness as well as people who show off their new-fangled American accents!!

5. amlistening on May 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Am happy the movie had a happy ending :)

6. Vinod Sharma on May 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Great video. Amazing how some guys in India want ‘Americanised’ wives!

7. gauri on May 14, 2009 at 1:30 am

Well said. Notice, the same people will drop everything they were doing to run and help someone “phoren-returned” if s/he cannot figure out the geyser / faucet system or whatever it is in India. And conclude they’re sooooo sophisticated, that this ghati desi system is beneath them.

BTW, I don’t see any video – I think it’s my settings; I couldn’t see an audio file icon on Mahendra’s blog either.

8. Poonam on May 14, 2009 at 2:43 am

:D

This was fun, and I wanted more. ;)

9. Mahendra on May 14, 2009 at 3:51 am

Agree with Dinesh above. And well said, too. Good post!

10. Smitha on May 14, 2009 at 12:00 pm

That was a great video!! Do guys like that still exist :)

11. amreekandesi on May 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm

@Chutney – Welcome to Amreekandesi!

@Roshni – Very true. Pretensions abound in our society though…some pretend to be cultured, some pretend to be rich, and our politicians pretend to actually care for the people! (Its election time…hard to resist)

@AmListening – As am i!

@Vinod – I guess so, but then those same people want Indian culture too.

@Gauri – Thanks. Good point.
    Maybe your security settings dont allow embedded objects such as audio/video?

The link to this video is here

@Poonam – :)

@Mahendra – Thanks!

@Smitha – I guess they do. But to his credit, he didn’t take much time to realize that he wasn’t being fair.

12. Mysoul on May 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I get her so well.. I was her(with a more supportive husband of course, thank god for small blessings). I still get the “surprised look” everytime I go home and someone there speaks in American accent while I still have my Indian accent…and still mechanically challenged by some of the “sophisticated gadgets” but I am no more embarassed to say so. And I dont feel as lonely as it used to be, cause in all that loneliness I realized nothing can beat the pleasure of my own company, its the best kind ;). Conceited Arent I?

13. amreekandesi on May 16, 2009 at 12:39 am

@Mysoul – Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree happiness comes from within, and we need to be able to deal with new situations.
    On the other points, i too speak unaccented English, and am happy doing so. I have never had a high opinion of the obnoxious Indians who go home and try to impress people with their phoren accents.

14. amit on May 17, 2009 at 4:50 am

I think more than anything else, its the loneliness. Many of my friends complain about that. :)
    That was a nice short movie.

15. amreekandesi on May 19, 2009 at 1:27 am

@Amit – The loneliness is the killer…being in a new land with nothing to do can be quite unnerving. I talked about this in an earlier post on H4 wives as well.

16. sarah on August 11, 2009 at 6:07 am

i really confused now…

17. Warnerbros on April 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm

ABCD or American-Born Confused Desi has become a polarizing factor in the Indian or Pakistani diaspora in the US, with first-generation immigrant parents and young Indians of second or latter generations.Though the term was originally coined in reference to Indian-Americans, it has been adopted by the South Asian community at large. The term “desi” comes from the word “des” (homeland) in Sanskrit and Hindi; and “desi” and is used to mean anyone from the subcontinent including India and Pakistan.Best Entertainment Sites
    The Best Messages sites
    Best Car Stereo Equipment

18. Car Subwoofer on September 10, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I looked over something related to your post at techcrunch… at any rate, I think car audio is usually misunderstood but has some excellent quality manufacturers also. -Best Regards, Rana Arentz