Hussain Haqqani on the Daily Show

May 14, 2009

Husain Haqqani, the Pakistani ambassador to the US was on Jon Stewart’s Daily show last night.

Started off a bit cocky with an uncalled-for dig at the guests on the show. Or did he mean the audience? Not sure.

“So how much of Pakistan does Pakistan control?”
“Pakistan controls most of Pakistan. The Taliban are a nuisance, just as some of your guests are.”

Maybe it had something to do with the Fareed Zakaria appearance on the show earlier this month where he lashed out at the hypocrisy of Pakistan, and how Pakistan has conned America over the past many years.

Haqqani spun the line Pakistan is spinning these days. Of waging a battle against the Taliban militants whom they have summarily disowned. Of needing to spend on improving the country’s infrastructure to cut down on the roots of terrorism (Hint: Give us more money!!)

We hope for Pakistan, India, and the whole world’s sake that Pakistan is indeed earnest in its efforts to cut down on terrorism. Its about time.

On Pakistan and Jon Stewart, here’s a video back from 2006. Parwez Musharraf on the Daily Show. Stewart offered tea to Musharraf.

Is this good tea? Have i offended you in any way?

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “ Hussain Haqqani on the Daily Show ”

1. Solilo on May 14, 2009 at 1:15 pm

AD, Did you get a chance to watch Shashi Tharoor on Fareed Zakaria this weekend? I loved the way he said what was needed to be said. :)

2. amreekandesi on May 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

@Solilo – I did not. But it sounds like something i should pull out from the internets. Should be very interesting.

3. Kavi on May 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Frankly i am fed u with the talk shows. With election results around the corner, there is quite some talk shows happening. and frankly they are beyond me !

But they seem to be getting somewhere ! Phew !

4. Indyeah on May 15, 2009 at 2:02 am

Thanks for sharing this :) had not watched it

5. R.D.B. on May 15, 2009 at 6:20 am

Thanx for sharing this..
    i really hope Pakistan is sincere in itz efforts to curb or atleast contain terrorism…:(
    Sadly..taliban is their homegrown organisation gone out of their own control..

But sincerely.. do these talk shows evr bring home any solution or a path breaking view…??!!??

6. Chikki on May 15, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Everything Apart – I like their sense of humour, the ambassador’s and Jon Stewart’s.

A person with good sense of humour catches my attention, I was impressed at how spontaneous his humour was.

7. amreekandesi on May 16, 2009 at 12:24 am

@Kavi – I think it all depends on the impartiality of the host. Indian journalists baffle me, and i am not surprised your disillusionment with them. I don’t watch many talk shows – Jon Stewart is one of the rare few that i regularly follow. He comes up with some interesting insights on US and world politics.

@Indyeah – You’re welcome!

@RDB – I’d say that talk shows by themselves cannot solve world problems. But people like Stewart and Colbert have tremendous reach and can play a big part in mobilizing public opinion.

@Chikki – Yea, Stewart is a pretty good at it. You should check out some of his other clips at comedycentral.com

8. amit on May 17, 2009 at 6:54 am

I just hope that things work out. Taliban somehow reminds me of a computer virus. They are nothing more than that.

9. Prerna on May 18, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I am surprised, Haqqani is usually very sophisticated and civilised.

10. amreekandesi on May 19, 2009 at 1:25 am

@Amit – Viruses can cause a lot of damage – they have been known to wipe out entire hard disks ;)

@Prerna – Hmm…i dont know much about Haqqani, but i was surprised he started the interview on such a negative tone. Hardly the sort of thing you expect from a diplomat!