A Middle Finger to Indian Hockey?

March 13, 2010

For the past few weeks the Hero Honda Hockey jingle has been playing non stop on radio stations. You would think India must be on the verge of winning the world cup. Ha!

dil mein dam bhar lo, fir dil ko hockey ko

Win the cup they didn’t, but to their credit the Indian hockey team managed their best performance in 16 years. By finishing 8th out of 12 participating teams. And managing one win in six matches.

To their credit they managed to defeat Pakistan. Never mind the fact that everybody else also beat up the Pakistani team who seem to have slipped to a new low in world hockey.

For some illogical reason, there was a lot of hype and expectation from the team, and we were actually expecting a decent finish. Alas that decent finish never happened, and India even lost the match for the 7th position to Argentina.

Indian hockey has seen it all now. The burden of past performance, the ignominy of not qualifying for the Beijing Olympics, the suspension of IHF last year, the recent strike over pay, infighting over captaincy right before the world cup, allegedly rigged practice matches against India B teams, a sad show at the world cup, and to top it all, a Prabhjot Singh dispatching a middle finger to upset fans.

A team on a high can afford to piss off some followers, but a mediocre team that loses most of its games can definitely not. We may have given our dil to hockey, but it wont take long to take it back. Not when the Indian Paisa League is in progress.

Maybe what we need is a Shahrukh Khan to coach the men’s team to a world title, like he did the women’s team.

*Long Sigh *

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “ A Middle Finger to Indian Hockey? ”

1. Kavi on March 14, 2010 at 10:54 am

Its called the national sport. Some kind of reverse flick isnt it ! Nobody seems to care. I guess it starts from the TV viewing public !

Cricket is far more easy. You need those stumps and run now and then ! Hockey means discipline. Hockey means energy. And a strong back ! Well, the Germans and the Aussies have this in plenty !

you know..!

2. Global Voices Online » India: Wither Hockey? on March 14, 2010 at 11:37 pm

[…] Desi writes about the dismal performance of the Indian hockey team in the ongoing world cup. Cancel this […]

3. amlistening on March 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Two confessions
    1) Face of hockey i remember has changed……i still recall Dhanraj Pillai when I hear of Indian hockey, so may be I shud not comment on India’s hockey performance. I am still in 90s
    2)India is catching up pretty quick on US lingo and &*@% phrases. I am surprised.

Btw a recent incident: I visited this restaurant in Noida where the specials card on the table read in BBOLD WTF.
    I was shocked and forced to read further to understand the context. Explanation below was Wednesday Thursday Friday…..haha

4. Reema on March 15, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I m afraid Hockey will be obsolete soon.:(

5. YUVRAJ SHINDE on March 27, 2010 at 10:15 am

THERES ONLY ONE WAY TO PULL UP OUR NATIONAL GAME,
    I.E. DO COMPULSARY LEARNING DURING SCHOOL PERIOD LIKE NCC/NSS. SO THAT MORE NO. OF PLAYERS WILL EMERGE AND SHARE THEIR TRIBUTE TO NATION.
    SO ITS OUR DUTY TO RAISE A VOICE TO MAKE HOCKEY COMPULSARY IN SCHOOL.
    THERE’S LIVE EXAMPLE..
    GO IN COORG(MADKERI) IN KARNATAKA STATE, INDIA. DER FROM PRIMARY SCHOOLIG ONWARDS DEY HAVE MADE HOCKEY COMPULSARY TO GIRLS AND BOYS TOO.
    ONE INCIDENT I WANNA SHARE, WHILE I WAS TRAVELLING THRU THAT CITY, I SAW A GAL AND BOY AGED AROUND 7-8 YRS, WID THEIR SCHOOL BAG THEY WERE CARRYING A HOCKEY STICK. I WAS HAPPY COZ ATLEAST AT ONE CORNER OF INDIA, SOME1 IS RESPECTING THEIR NATION.
    SO YOU DO.. AND YOU ALL MUST …. IF YOU ARE FEAL INDIANS, CONTRIBUTE FOR OUR NATION GAME.
    I AM 22 IN AGE.. I HAVE TEACHED AROUND 40 STUDENTS. AND I’LL KEEP IT ON..
    I AM NOW COACH OF MY ENGINEERING COLLEGE TEAM.
    I AM PROUD THAT I AM BORN IN INDIA.
    I SALUTE TO MY MOTHERLAND

6. arunii on April 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Only media can help to raise the hockey standards. All celebs of different fields comes in support of hockey. If by any means we can create people’s interest inhockey then hope some day we will win the title !

7. Navin on April 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Hockey in India has taken a beating for sure and even if you have seen some of the celebrities….they were just in the Ads…..how many celebrities have actually gone to the stadium and seen the game the way they follow cricket?